– Liam Hendriks, former Athletics closer, received the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance at the 2023 ESPYs.
– He fought his way back into the league after being DFA'd five times and battled Stage 4 Non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
– Cancer changed him for the better, making him realize the importance of life's brevity and trivial things.
– Hendriks was diagnosed at 33 but unknowingly pitched most of 2022 with cancer, showcasing the power of the mind.
– He believes his remarkable comeback was driven by mental strength, throwing 100 mph even during treatment.
– Hendriks returned to MLB just five months after diagnosis, undergoing eight rounds of chemotherapy and four rounds of immunotherapy.
– His journey emphasizes the importance of mental resilience and determination in overcoming obstacles.
– Hendriks' story is a powerful reminder of the human spirit's capacity to triumph over adversity.